Music at Mary Baldwin offers flexibility not often found in larger institutions. Students have the opportunity to pursue all aspects of music including performance, education, and arts management. With a large number of on-campus and local opportunities to get involved, as well as music-focused travel courses, students can apply their knowledge in hands-on experiences.
Students can pursue a minor in music and music is one of the main concentrations of the Performing Arts major.
Why study music at Mary Baldwin University?
- students who are interested in music education don’t have to choose between music education and performance at Mary Baldwin, like they do at bigger schools
- we have an excellent placement record for music education
- instrumentalists perform with the Waynesboro Symphony Orchestra, where they have the unique experience of performing alongside community members, students from other schools, and professionals
- all courses, lessons, and ensembles are open to all qualified Mary Baldwin students, not just music minors
- our choral ensembles perform regularly on and off campus
- we have one of the few arts administration programs in the country at the undergraduate level
Anointed Voices of Praise is Mary Baldwin’s student-directed, traveling, music ministry of traditional and contemporary gospel music. These ladies know how to bring the house down in a way you won’t forget!
Baldwin Charm is prime habitat for songbirds that fly a cappella and specialize in a light touch with popular tunes and a spirit of fun.
Bella Voce is for those who enjoy “a polyphonic part-song originating in the 14th century, which is marked by secular text and a freely imitative style and counterpoint” (per Webster’s). AKA: beautiful madrigal or chamber music by select members of the college choir.
Mary Baldwin University Choir sings. A lot. And beautifully. As a collective of soloist-caliber vocalists, the choir shares the joy of music in concert, at major campus events, and on tour.
The VWIL marching band is made up of VWIL Cadets as well as non-cadets. The band participates in monthly parades, honor ceremonies, and special celebrations including annual parades include the Staunton and Lexington Christmas parades and the St. Patrick’s Day parade in New York City. The band has marched in three gubernatorial parades.