Students of theatre become artists, whether they choose to be on stage or back stage. At Mary Baldwin, all students have five opportunities each year to participate in a main-season show, including an annual musical. Students design and run lights, stage-manage, build sets, design costumes, handle publicity, and manage props. All female roles are performed by Mary Baldwin students.
Students can pursue a minor in theatre and a BA/MLitt in Theatre and Shakespeare and Performance (5 year program). Theatre is also one of the main concentrations of the Performing Arts major.
Why study theatre at Mary Baldwin University?
- Mary Baldwin produces five shows every year
- All women’s roles are restricted to students and students fill all production roles
- High level of opportunities to participate in productions allows students to get more exposure to theatre than they would at larger institutions
- Students have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the area of the theatre that interests them: scene painting, set building, singing, acting, publicity, playwriting, stage managing, etc.
- The collaborative nature of producing each show reinforces skills in organization, teamwork, leadership, and responsibility
- Faculty work closely with students in all aspects of the discipline
- With professor permission, an undergraduate can take graduate classes in the masters level Shakespeare and Performance program
- Undergraduates are encouraged to audition for graduate-level productions
- Undergraduates are encouraged to pursue a variety of internships in professional theatre
- Theatre, by nature, is a lot of work … and a lot of fun
By Noel Coward
Directed by Terry Southerington
October 5-9, 7:30pm with Sunday performances at 2pm
American Shakespeare Center
As the world’s only replica of Shakespeare’s indoor theater, the Blackfriars Playhouse, the American Shakespeare Center delights audiences at home and abroad with a fresh, energetic approach to Shakespeare.
These are the people who shout “theatre” in a crowded fire. Ampersand is an entirely volunteer organization that engages audiences with the unique and edgy.
Clever by Half Productions
Founded by Mary Baldwin Shakespeare graduate students, Clever by Half is a traveling theatre that specializes in murder mysteries and dinner theatre.
Imagine That! Theatre
Their mission is to educate and inspire through the arts; to provide an atmosphere that encourages and enables children to appreciate and to participate in all aspects of live theatre, dance, and music while making their program accessible to children of all economic levels.
Oak Grove Theater
Founded by a Mary Baldwin University professor, starring Mary Baldwin University students … more than 50 years old the Oak Grove continues it’s strong connection with Mary Baldwin every summer. The Grove is a wonderful outdoor theater with a five play season. The summer nights are filled with music, laughter, and drama as the Oak Grove Players display their magic.
The Outsiders, Hairspray, Beauty and the Beast, ART, just to name a few. ShenanArts brings the big name shows to the community starring some of the greatest in the area.
The Players have been “bringing community to theater” for more than 40 years. Located in Waynesboro, WP has a three show season with intermittent dessert theaters.