12
AUG
2014

Davyne Verstandig ’66

Davyne & Eric Davyne & Michael

PHOTOS! I am still a professor at UConn- teaching Creative Writing and English. This semester I will be teaching an advanced Creative Writing class – Techniques of Prose Fiction and a course in Modern Novel. I am also working with a very talented student on his independent study as he is in the process of writing a book of short stories for submission. This is his 3rd semester working with me. I have also been giving week-end workshops on memoir “My Life Is In The Ink” at www.wisdomhouse.org for a few years. The next workshop will be designed for Healing Arts professionals since I have had a number of therapists working with me. I listen to the listeners and work with them to write their stories. Memoir is the reflection and search for meaning in the events of our lives.  I am still giving public readings of my own memoir (still a work in process called The Mermaid in the Cornfield) and poetry.  Every Friday I am in Groton, Ct. spending the day with my daughter Deva and my grandsons Michael (age 5 months) and Eric (age 3). Deva’s husband, James, is aboard the US North Dakota submarine.  My sons Deven and Emerson are chefs – NYC and Litchfield Ct.  I am also a Justice of the Peace and officiate at about 10-15 weddings a year.   I have been working with a 90 year old man on his memoir which will be sent to a publisher within a few weeks – I have been interviewing him for 2 1/2 years so it is an “oral memoir”.   I am grateful for this life.

Morgan Alberts Smith '99 is the web producer and social media manager for Mary Baldwin's Office of Communication, Marketing, and Public Affairs.
  1. Ann Wade Godwin Reply
    Hello Davyne! Your notes are always terrific and I love discovering what you are doing! I'm delighted that you're having a great year at UConn, and the pictures of your grandchildren are precious. I'm amazed that you find enough hours in the week to accomplish all your endeavors!