Mary Baldwin University’s Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences is excited to offer a new, online Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) degree as part of its program offerings.
What employers want now
Value-based improvement in healthcare delivery
Employees with leadership capabilities to become change agents
Professionals who can drive better outcomes for patients, clients and organizations
Expand your employment options
Clinicians, managers, and those looking to enter into healthcare administration can all benefit from this program.
Complete core courses to earn a Certificate in Health Systems Leadership first, and start making a difference in your career now.
Add a year* and earn your Master of Healthcare Administration degree. Completion time depends on each student’s schedule.
All courses are online, giving working professionals the flexibility they need.
The Leadership in Quality and Systems Safety track prepares students for professional certification exams, such as the CPHQ.
All courses are online, providing the flexibility that working professionals need.
*Completion time depends on an individual student’s schedule.
Prepare Individuals To Become Effective Leaders In Advancing Patient And System Quality And Safety In The Healthcare Sector.
- Use effective leadership skills to promote organizational excellence by creating a shared vision, healthy teamwork and collaboration, and managing organizational climate and change.
- Apply business skills, including systems thinking, to the health care industry in such areas as general management, financial analysis, human resources management, and information technology.
- Apply critical thinking and decision making skills to address the legal, ethical, financial and regulatory environments facing health systems
- Communicate effectively by demonstrating interpersonal and communication skills that promote healthy information exchange both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate attitudes and skills which show a commitment to ethical and professional behavior and interprofessional cooperation, and incorporate respect, compassion, and integrity.
- Leverage patients and families in the organization’s improvement efforts.
- Implement partnership strategies that can provide the highest level of quality and patient safety to patients and families.
Engender Critical Thinking And Skills In Strategic Operations Through Coursework In The Management, Organization, Financing, Human Resources, Function And Performance Of The Healthcare System.
- Demonstrate awareness of the social, economic, legislative and demographic factors that impact the delivery of healthcare in the United States.
- Relate theory to practice by demonstrating synthesis of knowledge through case study analysis and course projects.
- Assess evidence based research in healthcare topics to support business decisions.
- Develop and execute change management strategies to improve organizational outcomes
- Understand and analyze both internal organizational metrics, such as balanced scorecards/dashboards, as well a publicly reported outcome measures.
Develop Quality And Patient Safety Leaders Who Have The Necessary Knowledge, Skills And Competencies To Support Organizational Transformation In Both Private And Public Healthcare Organizations.
- Align quality and safety activities with the organization’s strategic goals.
- Apply models for improvement to effect positive change in organizational process and outcomes.
- Provide leadership and develop structure to the organization’s quality and patient safety program.
- Design and coordinate data collection and reporting processes for process and outcomes evaluation.
- Establish the business case for improvement.
- Translate accreditation and licensing requirements into effective internal processes and procedures.
- Assess the organization’s culture of safety and develop strategies for improvement.
- Apply change management strategies to leading improvement teams and activities.
Offer Flexibility To Meet The Needs Of Working Professionals Through An Online Course Format That Includes Experiential Learning And By Offering A Preliminary Certificate After Completion Of Core Courses.
- Experience the integrative, interdisciplinary and collaborative nature of the healthcare industry.
- Obtain learning experiences that apply the social, organization, financial and regulatory environments in which healthcare is delivered.
- Participate in discussion forums that enable greater depth and insight to other’s views and greater focus on course content and analysis.
- Enhance virtual communication skills in an age of expanding technology and communication styles.
- Improve knowledge retention through a richer and more interactive classroom.
Prepare Those Who Complete The Quality And Patient Safety Track To Successfully Achieve Certification In Healthcare Quality And/Or Patient Safety.
- Execute a strategic and operational role in quality and patient safety management.
- Evaluate information technology solutions to the design and collection of data, measurement, analytics and communication.
- Plan, implement, evaluate and train in performance/quality measurement and improvement.
- Effectively address strategic and operational tasks in patient safety.