Earn your bachelor’s degree in health sciences, biology, chemistry, biochemistry or psychology in three years, and get a jump on graduate school or your career in a fast-growing health profession.
Our Murphy Deming Scholars program has several distinctive features:
- Skip your senior year of high school or enter right after graduation.
- A professional portfolio of resume-building experiences, such as internships, clinical shadowing, research, conference participation, and more.
- Immediate access to graduate-level courses and lectures, faculty, and graduate student mentor who is currently enrolled at Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences
- Clinical shadowing and internship placements in the local community.
- Complete prerequisites for admission to popular graduate programs such as physical therapy (PT), occupational therapy (OT), and medicine.
- Opportunities to compete for early admission to MBU’s own doctoral programs in PT and OT or master’s program in physician assistant studies (at Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences).
Admissions requirements include:
- Students must enter as freshmen and plan to live on campus (Rising MBU sophomores may apply to this program in the spring before their sophomore year. Please contact the health sciences advisor for more information.)
- Minimum 3.5 GPA and 1100 SAT or equivalent ACT score
- Two letters of recommendation
- Two personal essays
- Completed online application specific to Murphy Deming Scholars
The Leadership Advantage is our promise that every undergraduate will connect ideas with action through outstanding academics and unparalleled opportunities to apply that knowledge. By the time you graduate, you’ll be resilient, confident in your strengths, and prepared to be the architect of your life.
- How do I apply? There is a special application to let us know you’re interested in the Murphy Deming Scholars in Health Professions program. You can complete the application online.
- What are the financial benefits? Save a year of tuition by completing your undergraduate requirements in three years. Murphy Deming Scholars students are also encouraged to compete for a program-specific merit scholarship.
- Do I have to graduate in three years? We will give you the resources and plan to complete the program in three years, but you are not required to do so.
- Will I be able to study abroad? May Term is the perfect opportunity for students in the Murphy Deming Scholars program to study abroad and have meaningful international experiences led by MBU faculty. If a student wants a longer study abroad, it may take longer to graduate.
- How does the Murphy Deming early admission option work? Mary Baldwin undergraduates interested in applying to graduate programs in Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences may do so during their junior year for “conditional early admission,” provided they meet all admissions requirements and are on track to complete the baccalaureate degree and prerequisite coursework in their senior year. This competitive program offers three early admission seats each year to the most-qualified MBU applicants.