As Hurricane Sandy moves in our direction, our Emergency Response Team continues to monitor weather forecasts and to track possible scenarios of how the storm might affect conditions in the Staunton/Augusta area. Current forecasts indicate that this area will experience increased wind and rain later today and into tomorrow, but that we will likely be spared the brunt of the storm, which is generally tracking to the north. Power outages remain a possibility.
We are preparing accordingly (more details below) and urge you to do so as well.
What you can do to prepare:
- Check your @marybaldwin.edu email address regularly for updates.
- Keep your mobile phone and other devices fully charged. Our website and email are hosted off-site and will not be affected by power outages here, and our phone system is on back-up power.
- Ensure that your vehicle is fully fueled.
- Avoid parking under big trees if possible.
- Avoid calling Safety and Security unless it is an emergency. They will not have information that is not publicly available from the following sources:
- recorded information via our information line at 540-887-7378
- email sent to everyone at Mary Baldwin
- BAM alerts
- Follow instructions from college authorities, Residence Life staff, local authorities, and other emergency personnel.
- Do NOT use candles in campus buildings as they are a fire hazard.
- Monitor weather forecasts for this area to stay informed.
If the situation worsens and we need to cancel classes and close offices, please be assured that essential services will continue. Here’s what you can expect:
- If it becomes advisable to cancel classes and close offices, or if we have other emergency information and instructions to share, we will send out a BAM alert and post the alert to the college’s home page at www.marybaldwin.edu.
- Back-up power will be provided to Dining Services at Hunt Hall, and meal service will continue with normal hours of service at Hunt, but not in the Pub.
- We have adequate supplies of food and water for resident students, and a reliable supply chain for restocking should power outages continue for several days.
- Back-up power will also be provided to essential equipment and labs in Pearce Science Center.
- Safety and Security will operate as normal to protect the safety of our campus community.
- RAs are trained in emergency procedures and have been issued emergency equipment including flashlights and extra batteries.
- Interior hallways and stairwells in residence halls are equipped with emergency lighting.
As always, we urge you to put safety first and take all necessary precautions as you travel to and around campus during the storm.