Hunt West 12:30 – 12:50 p.m.
Welcome: Dr. Pamela Fox
Keynote Speaker: Franchelle Dorn, Elizabeth Kirkpatrick Doenges Scholar-in-Residence
SESSION 1: DELIVERED PAPERS
Miller Chapel 1-2 p.m.
- Sarah Bailey. Choice or Chosen: The Early Controversy Over Free Will and Predestination in the Theologies of Pelagius, Augustine, and John Cassian. Project Advisor: James Gilman. Academic Advisor: James Gilman, Mary Hill Cole.
- Sharmeka Williams. “Sufficient to Have Stood, Though Free to Fall”: Eve As a Role-Model. Project Advisor: Katherine Turner and Sarah Kennedy. Academic Advisor: Sarah Kennedy.
- Anaya Jones. Exploring the Relationship between Humbert Humbert, Popular Media and the Reader in Nabokov’s “Lolita”. Project Advisor: B. Richard Plant, Sarah Kennedy. Academic Advisor: Katherine Turner.
- Aubrey Sparks. The Existence of an External World: Solutions to Solipsism and the Philosophy of William James. Project Advisor: James Gilman. Academic Advisor: James Gilman, Laura van Assendelft..
SESSION 2: DELIVERED PAPERS
Miller Chapel 2:15-3:15 p.m.
- Allison Gordon. Literacy and Language in Oral Tradition Cultures. Project and Academic Advisor: Abigail Wightman.
- Jonathan A. Miller. The Origin of Anabaptist Hymn Tunes As Sung by the Old Order Amish and Hutterites. Project and Academic Advisor: Robert Allen.
- Sarah Anne Barrow. More French Than Feminist: An Analysis of Ni Putes Ni Soumises’ and Les Blédardes’ Response to L’affaire du Foulard. Project and Academic Advisor: Martha Walker.
- Leighann Kimble. Peruvian Elections in 2011: Reemergence of Populism and the Influence of the Indigenous Majority. Project Advisor: Gordon Bowen. Academic Advisor: Abigail Wightman.
SESSION 3: DELIVERED PAPERS
Miller Chapel 3:30-4:45 p.m.
- Autumn Harper. Out for Blood: Murder and Mystery During the Saint Bartholomew’s Day Massacre. Project and Academic Advisor: Mary Hill Cole and Amy Tillerson.
- Katerini Carpenter. Starvation, Death, Disease and Survival: Women During the Siege of Leningrad 1941-1945. Project and Academic Advisor: Mary Hill Cole and Amy Tillerson.
- Sara Hodges. Destruction and Expulsion: The Marquês de Pombal, the Jesuit Order, and the Lisbon Earthquake of 1755. Project and Academic Advisor: Mary Hill Cole and Amy Tillerson.
- Amber Phillips. Towards an Iron Cage of Modern Society. Project Advisor: John Wells. Academic Advisor: Carey Usher.
- Leighann Kimble. The Dirty War in Argentina: Trafficking of “Disappeared” Children in a Quest for National Identity. Project and Academic Advisor: Abigail Wightman.
SESSION 1: MULTI-MEDIA PRESENTATIONS
Nuthouse 1-2 p.m.
- Olivia Sicignano. Pontormo, Florence and the Capponi Chapel: A Fresh Look at the Chapel in Context of the Florentine World. Project Advisor: Sara James and Marlena Hobson. Academic Advisor: Sara James.
- Alexandra Sanne. Journey To Radicalization: How Three American-Born Citizens Became Extremist Muslim Terrorists. Project Advisor: Gordon Bowen.
- Leighann Kimble. China’s “Oil Diplomacy” in Iran: A Threat to U.S. Security? Project Advisor: Daniel Metraux.
- Jacklyn Stutts. Japanese Host Boys: Seeking Individuality, Gaining Social Isolation. Project and Academic Advisor: Daniel Metraux.
SESSION 2: MULTI-MEDIA PRESENTATIONS
Nuthouse 2:15-3:15 p.m.
- Sarah McFarland. How will you be Marked?: Gravestone Symbols of Staunton, Virginia. Project and Academic Advisor: Abigail Wightman.
- Thomas Oakley. Hurricane Camille in Nelson County, Virginia: The Event, Its Effects, and How They Dictated and Influenced Relief Efforts. Project Advisor: Mary Hill Cole and Amy Tillerson. Academic Advisor: Abby Arnold.
- Michelle Pinsky. BodyTalk: A Non-Profit Approach to Body-focused Repetitive Behavior Self-help in Adolescents and Young Adults. Project and Academic Advisor: Claire Kent and Theresa Rollison.
- Jillian Stubbs. The Power of Electric Vehicles: Electricity as an Alternative Fuel. Project Advisor: Joseph Sprangel. Academic Advisor: Janet Ewing..
SESSION 3: MULTI-MEDIA PRESENTATIONS
Nuthouse 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- Michelle L. Filliater. Camp Metamorphosis: A Business Plan. Project Advisor: Joseph Sprangel. Academic Advisor: Janet Ewing.
- Cearra Mechem. American Efficiency Services, LLC “Guaranteed Leak Detection” Strategic Business Plan. Project Advisor: Joseph Sprangel. Academic Advisor: Janet Ewing.
- Jessica Lee Hartzog. Tyson Foods, Inc.: A Sustainable Evaluation. Project Advisor: Joseph Sprangel. Academic Advisor: Claire Kent.
- Kari Obaugh. Impact of Non-insurance Revenue on a Twelve-Month Operational Budget. Project and Academic Advisor: Steven Mosher.
Hunt Gallery 3:30-4:15 p.m.
- Amanda Colleen Miller. Constructed Perspective. Project and Academic Advisor: Paul Ryan
- Leanne Patton. Watching Time Go By. Project and Academic Advisor: Paul Ryan
- Renee Shuey. Blue Pepper Album Design. Project Advisor: Theresa Rollison. Academic Advisor: Paul Ryan.
Hunt West 3:30-5:15 p.m.
- Anastasia Blake. Effect of Runoff and Seasonal Change on Concentrations of Endocrine Disrupting Compounds (EDCs) in Rural and Urban Areas. Project and Academic Advisor: Peter Ruiz-Haas.
- Sarah Coker. Transmission of Plasmodium and Haemoproteus within Hooded Warbler Nests. Project and Academic Advisor: Paul Callo.
- CarolAnn Dodson. Investigation of the Thermodynamics of DNA Interactions with the LL-37 Peptide. Project Advisor: Maria Craig. Academic Advisor: Karl Zachary.
- Angela Gupta. Effects of CpG/LL-37 Complexes on Prostate Cancer Cell Migration. Project and Academic Advisor: Paul Deeble.
- Alexandria Kelly. Photodynamic Therapy and its Effects on Neuroendocrine Differentiated LNCaP and PC3 Prostate Cancer Cell Lines. Project and Academic Advisor: Paul Deeble.
- Krittika Krishnan. Effect of Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibition in the Asian Musk Shrew. Project and Academic Advisor: Louise Freeman.
- Rachael Lam. An Examination of Complexes Formed between Cucurbituril and Select Metallocenes. Project and Academic Advisor: Karl Zachary.
- Rachel Laux. Family Structure and the Work Force: How Family Structure Affects Women’s Work Decisions. Project Advisor: Amy Diduch. Academic Advisor: Judy Klein.
- Stephanie Morehead. Compulsive Hoarding as a Distinct Clinical Diagnosis in the DSM-V. Project and Academic Advisor: Heather Macalister.
- Priyanka Nadar. Evaluating Estrogenic Activity of the Suspected Endocrine Disrupting Compound Triclosan and its Effects on Breast Cancer Proliferation. Project Advisor: Anne Allison. Academic Advisor: Eric Jones.
- Elena Nguyen. Sexual Differentiation in the Asian Musk Shrew: The Role of DNA Methylation and Dendritic Spines. Project and Academic Advisor: Louise Freeman.
- Victoria Rosborough. Electrical Characterization of Flexible Titanium Dioxide Memristors. Project and Academic Advisor: Nadine Gergel-Hackett.
- Abbey Senn. Undergraduate Women’s Educational Experiences and Choice of Major. Project and Academic Advisor: Chandra Mason.
- Asma Shethwala. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: The Pathological, Physiological, and Sociocultural Effects on Women. Project Advisor: Abigail Wightman and Paula Davis-Olwell. Academic Advisor: Paul Deeble.
5:00 – 5:45 p.m.
Participants, family and friends, and the Mary Baldwin community are invited to celebrate at an informal wine-and-cheese reception.
5:45 – 6:00 p.m.
Participants will be recognized and several special awards given.