Preparations for Departure

Visa and Immigration Information

In order to get an I-20 form, all students must complete the Certification of Finances form which is included in the application. This form shows how the student is planning to pay for her education. This information is required by the U.S. government before an I-20 can be issued. Once a student has been accepted and we have received the Certification of Finances form and the tuition deposit, we will mail a U.S. government I-20 form, which international students will take to their local embassy or consulate to get the student visa.

Before a student can apply for a visa, they must first pay the SEVIS fee.

Tuition Payments


Nadine O'Hagan

What has been the most rewarding part of your experience at Mary Baldwin? Honestly, the whole experience; enjoying the classes and the experience of living on campus. I suppose the two most rewarding things are the friendships I have made and the great pride I have in accomplishing the daunting task of going to another country alone to live and study for a year, and managing to perform well in doing so. It has really been like a home away from home for me.

Nadine O’Hagan, Ireland
Year of Exchange: 2007-08

Monthly Payment Plan
Fees that are normally due at the beginning of each semester may be paid in ten equal monthly installments. There are no interest or finance charges involved. Only a $50.00 administrative fee is charged. Once accepted in the program a Life Benefit Coverage is provided at no additional cost.

Tuition Refund Plan
This plan protects the financial investment of students and their parents. If a student must withdraw from classes because of personal illness or accident, this plan will return up to 1OO% of the insured term tuition and fees, depending on the nature of the cause for withdrawal.

For information regarding Payment and Tuition Plan options call the Mary Baldwin Business Office at 540-887-7175.

Housing During Breaks

We are not able to provide housing for students during college breaks, however, local church groups may provide students with host families who will offer free housing over breaks. Many students will use this time to travel or visit friends’ homes, while some students choose to stay in Staunton at a local motel or inn. In this case, students can usually share hotel rooms to reduce the costs. Here is a list of hotels and inns in Staunton:

  • Quality Inn
    96 Baker Ln, Staunton, VA‎ – 540-248-5111‎
  • Sleep Inn
    222 Jefferson Hwy, Staunton, VA‎ – 540 -887-6500‎
  • Comfort Inn
    1302 Richmond Avenue, Staunton, VA‎ – 540-886-5000‎
  • Frederick House
    28 N New St, Staunton, VA‎ – 540-885-4220‎
  • Stonewall Jackson Hotel
    24 S Market St Staunton, VA 866-539-8430
  • Howard Johnson Hotel
    268 N Central Ave, Staunton, VA‎ – 540-886-5330‎
  • For more lodging opportunities visit the Staunton visitors site.

Keeping in Touch With Your Family

  • Phone: Students will receive their own phone numbers in the rooms of their residence halls after they arrive at Mary Baldwin. Until this number is assigned, students can be reached by calling the central switchboard number: 540-887-7000.
  • Fax: Faxes may be sent to the following number: 540-887-7292.
  • E-mail: Students will be assigned an e-mail address shortly after arrival.