Study Abroad Scholarships
Below you’ll find some great ways to get financial aid for study abroad. There are lots of other opportunities if you look for them, but scholarships are competitive and sometimes come on a first come, first served basis, so start looking early.
Mary Baldwin University Scholarships
- Complete the Study Abroad Financial Aid Application by October 1, to be eligible for the following scholarships
- Marion Barge Clark ’67 Scholarship
- Melissa Mitchell Memorial Award for May Term Study Abroad
- Dorothy Mulberry Award (for the study of Spanish) – Contact Dr. Brenci Patiño: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- C. Perry Nair Endowed Fund
- Velma B. Mcdowell Endowed Fund
- Sara Forrest Thompson Hunt Mission Fund
- Spencer Center for Civic and Global Engagement Endowed Fund – Cultural Awareness Award and Civic Engagement Award
External Program Scholarships
Many study abroad providers offer scholarships and financial aid, including:
- Academic Programs International
- American Institute for Foreign Study
- Council on International Education Exchange
- Critical Language Scholarship Program
- Cultural Experiences Abroad
- Eastern European Study Abroad
- Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University
- International Partnership for Service-Learning and Leadership
- School for International Training
To compete for one of these nationally recognized scholarships or fellowships, you should begin planning 9–12 months ahead.
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
Offers scholarships for students who have been traditionally under-represented in education abroad.
- Bridging Scholarships
For students studying abroad in Japan
- DAAD Scholarships
Supports undergraduate in the U.S. and Canada who wish to study, research, or intern in Germany.
- Freeman Awards for Study Abroad in Asia
Aims to increase the number of American students in East and Southeast Asia.
- Fulbright Student Program
Offers the most exchange opportunities for U.S. citizens worldwide.
- Fund for Education Abroad
- Gates/Cambridge Scholarship
Makes awards based of intellectual ability, leadership, and desire to contribute to society.
- George Mitchell Scholarship
Sponsored by the U.S.-Ireland Alliance, this scholarship is for graduate students between the ages of 18 and 30 at colleges in Ireland.
- The Language Flagship Fellowships
Offers funding for advanced language training in critical languages.
- Marshal Scholarships
Selects 40 scholars each year to spend two years in graduate school at a British university, all expenses paid by the British Government.
- MEXT Scholarship
For students interested in studying in Japan.
- NSEP/Boren Undergraduate Scholarships for Study Abroad
Awards scholarships for study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests. (Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded)
- Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
Supports undergraduates in all fields of study who wish to learn abroad.
- Rhodes Scholarships
Brings outstanding students from all over the world to the University of Oxford for two years.
- Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarships
Scholars serve as ambassadors to the host country and give presentations about their homeland to Rotary clubs.
- Truman Scholarships
Supports graduate study for students interested in a career in public service.
- Whitaker International Fellows Scholars Program
Supports biomedical engineering study and/ or research abroad.
Scholarship Opportunities for Ethnic Minorities
- AGI Minority Geosciences Student
For students of color majoring in geosciences, including geology, geophysics, geochemistry, hydrology, meteorology, physical oceanography, planetary geology, or earth-science education.
- Air Force Crossroads Scholarships
- American Association of University Women
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
For minority accounting students.
- American Physical Society
Corporate scholarships for freshman and sophomore minority students majoring in physics.
- Diversity Abroad
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- The National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering
- Peace Corps
Scholarships for African Americans
- Black Excel
One of the largest databases for scholarships for African-American students.
- National Society of Black Engineers
- Scholarships for African Americans
- Science research Scholarship Awards
For African-American students in their junior year pursuing a degree in life or physical sciences.
Scholarships for Asian Americans
Scholarships for Latino/a Americans
- The Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting
- The Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- League of United Latin American Citizens
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses
Based on GPA, leadership capabilities, and financial need.
- State Farm Insurance
Scholarships for Native Americans
- A Better Chance
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society
- Association of American Indian Affairs
- The Cherokee Nation
- Friend of Hubbell
For Navajo Nation students with a 3.0 GPA or higher and junior or senior standing.
- Indian Health Service
More Scholarship Sites
- Fast Web
- Find Tuition
- Study Abroad Scholarships
- Study Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid
- Study Abroad Funding
- CEA Scholarships
- Global Studies Foundation Grant
- Go Abroad Scholarships
- AIFS Scholarships
- ISA Scholarship
What did we miss? If you find other funding sources for study abroad be sure to let us know so we can include them on this list for other students.