The Vantage Point: Office of Personal and Professional Development
The Vantage Point: Office of Personal and Professional Development is a lab of inclusivity, innovation, self-reflection and awareness, where students are empowered to design lives of meaning and purpose. Rather than remain, ‘Career Services’, the office’s title illustrates a holistic approach to a student’s journey to work of meaning and purpose.
Mission: To inspire, challenge, and prepare all students to discover work that reflects their values and strengths and to lead lives of purpose and meaning.
Vision: To equip MBU students with the tools to navigate their path to ‘work on purpose’ with clarity, competence, and confidence.
- Community-We recognize and value the diversity of Mary Baldwin University. The Vantage Point is part of a larger community outside of the University and we strive to be of service whenever and wherever possible.
- Wholeness-The Vantage Point is dedicated to guiding students to live a whole, undivided life. Helping students to understand their strengths and values, to understand who they truly are and living and working in alignment with their true self.
- Empowerment- We provide guidance, tools, and experiences to foster empowerment, so that students are able to move forward in life and work responsibly and be change agents.
- Inclusivity-We embrace differences as strengths that magnify our capacity to achieve shared goals
- Balance-We are a healthy and balanced work environment. We value rigor and results and know that those results are achieved more fully when centered.
Click here to book an appointment with our Director, Nell Desmond and start your journey today!
Explore career fields in tentative majors, begin the self-exploration process; assessing values, interests, skills, and motivation, become aware of career services via The Vantage Point and its programs/workshops, while developing good study skills and establishing a strong GPA.
Decide on a major/career choice, begin to build a personal and professional career network, investigate internships and work-study programs, and research career options after self-assessment.
Build marketable skills, gain career related experience, begin to consider graduate or professional school, utilize Baldwin Job Board and Take AdVantage news-blasts for job search and recruitment, learn about occupations as they relate to your major and interests, become an expert in the online job search process.
Narrow and finalize career choice, prepare for graduate or professional school, research labor market, narrow focus on positions and industry openings.
I want to…
Contact VP Director (Nell Desmond)
Upload Resume/Cover Letter
Want to make sure your resume/cover letter is perfect for the job you want? Send us a copy using our uploader form here.
Find Resume/Cover Letter Template for Major
See how resume/cover letters should look like according to your major here.
Connect with Alumni
Alumni understand what the college experience is like. Click here to connect with somebody today.
Graduate School Information
Looking to continue your journey through higher education? Click here for more graduate school information.
“The Vantage Point is one of the best programs campus! I’m so glad I’ve had the opportunity to work with Nell she really has helped me find my way.”
Z.H., Class 2019