In support of Mary Baldwin University and its goals, the mission of the Office of Diversity and Advocacy is to provide programs and services that support students, staff, and faculty in building authentic relationships across, and within, all differences. This office is committed to success for the entire college community through equality, fairness, and understanding. Our diverse community is the touchstone of Mary Baldwin University’s identity. Our work is guided by three principles:
- Equity – ensuring equality of opportunity in all that we do. We strive to ensure equality in terms of the opportunity to become a member of the Mary Baldwin learning and working community.
- Inclusion – working together to create an organization that enables success for everyone with whom we interface. We create and sustain this environment through interpersonal interactions that openly support and affirm the inherent dignity and uniqueness of individuals and communities.
- Diversity – recognizing that a diversity of people, perspectives, experiences, and thought is essential to a compelling educational experience.
Cultural Programming and Initiatives
- Latino Culture Gateway
- Latino Heritage Month
- Native American Heritage Month
- Transgender Remembrance Day
- Black History Month
- LGBT PRIDE Week
- Safe Zone Program
- Campus Diversity Training
African Student Kollective is a group of women who embrace African culture and share their experiences with the greater college community.
Caribbean Student Association shares stories and traditions of Caribbean, South American, Central American, and African cultures.
Latinas Unidas unite Latina sisters and other students interested in Latin-American culture.
The Safe Zone House is a safe, residential space and support hub for LGBTQ students. The Safe Zone House provides various programming to support and educate the entire Mary Baldwin University community regarding the LGBTQ community. All students who live in the Safe Zone House are Safe Zone trained and can provide active support and mentoring for members of the Mary Baldwin LGBTQ community.
Students Out, Understand and Loving Students (SOULS) is a student-run campus club. SOULS provides a safe, accepting, and confidential meeting place for LGBTQ and ally students. The club provides a balance of educational, community, and social meetings and events for the LGBTQ community on campus.
Pledge of Inclusivity
We, the community of Mary Baldwin University, strive to celebrate humanity in all its wondrous and complex variation. Because we value diversity, it is our mission to sustain a community where all may flourish. We are safe to embrace our shared experiences and our differences. To this end, we treat all with respect and compassion.