General Housing Policies and Procedures

Abandoned Property 
The college cannot store or safeguard personal belongings left behind when students leave the college. Two weeks after the official withdrawal, leave or absence, or graduation date, items left behind are considered abandoned and will be confiscated and disposed of properly. If items must be removed by Physical Plant staff, charges will apply.

Students and their guests are expected to comply with the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia regarding possession and consumption of alcohol.

Common Area Space Use 
Common areas such as lounges and kitchens within the residence halls may be reserved for group meetings or events. To make a reservation please contact the Office of Residence Life at x7045.

Fire Safety 
Misuse of or tampering with fire safety equipment is strictly prohibited. Students and their guests should always promptly exit the building when a fire alarm sounds.

Guests (non-Mary Baldwin students or Mary Baldwin commuter students) of the same or opposite gender must be registered and signed-in. Guests are to be escorted in the buildings at all times. The length of stay for a guest is 72 hours or three consecutive nights. Guest cannot return any sooner than 24 hours from their time of departure. Additionally, students are responsible for the actions of their guests, including any behaviors that violate residence life or judicial policies. The college reserves the right to request the withdrawal of a guest from college property.

Harassment, Threats, and Intimidation 
Verbal or written abuse such as intimidation, coercion, and/or harassment has no place in the residential environment and will not be tolerated. Additionally, students are prohibited from assaulting, striking, or in any other way threatening harm to another member of the Mary Baldwin community.

Health and Safety Inspections 
During each semester, an announced residence hall inspection will occur. During this inspection, college officials will look at each residence hall room to make sure the room occupants are in compliance with all health and safety regulations. Inspections will occur with or without the room occupant being present. Any illegal items in plain view in the room will be documented and referrals to the Judicial Board will be made.

Illegal Drugs 
Students and their guests are expected to comply with the federal, state, and local laws which prohibit the following with regard to illicit drugs: use, possession, sharing, offering for sale, or manufacture. Additionally, possession of drug paraphernalia (bongs, clips, etc.) is prohibited at Mary Baldwin.

Insurance of Personal Property 
The college is not responsible for the loss of or damage to personal property of students. As the college does not provide coverage for personal property, students are strongly encouraged to add coverage of personal property to a family member’s homeowner’s insurance policy.

Each student is issued a room key and a key to the exterior door of her residence hall. For safety reasons these keys should not be labeled and should never be loaned to another person. A student who is locked out of her room or residence hall should contact the Office of Security at x7000. All lost or stolen keys should be reported immediately to the Office of Security. The cost to replace a room key is $25 and the cost to replace an outside door key is $50.

Moving Off Campus 
All Residential College for Women students (including VWIL and PEG) are expected to reside in on campus housing for the tenure of their stay at Mary Baldwin. However, there are exceptions. Requests to move off campus may be granted if a student is over the age of 21, is married or has children, has a documented special housing need that cannot be accommodated on campus, or is residing with family in the surrounding area.  Students are also expected to be in good academic standing. Requests are made on the appropriate form and submitted to the director of housing.

To provide emergency assistance, Residence Life staff provides “on-call” coverage after hours. During the weekends, an on-call schedule is posted in every hall detailing the staff members on call. Students seeking assistance may refer to the schedule or contact the Office of Security.

Pets are not allowed in the residence halls with the exception of fish in a small aquarium. 

Room Changes 
Room changes are permitted throughout the semester by student request and are approved based on availability. There is a freeze on room changes the first two weeks of the fall and spring semesters to allow occupancy to stabilize. The Office of Residence Life has the right to make room assignments and roommate changes at anytime based on needs of the college. As a first step, students should work with their resident assistant in resolving conflicts that may arise.

Room Entry 
In general, student rooms are considered private; however, the college reserves the right to enter rooms when deemed necessary. When authorized personnel have reason to suspect that a violation of a college regulation, local ordinance, state or federal statute is in progress, and/or for other emergency purposes, they may enter without notice. Additionally, college maintenance personnel have the right to enter rooms to perform maintenance duties and to perform scheduled room inspections.

Room Fees 
In addition to the standard room and board fee, there is a room fee for living in a designated single room or college-owned house or apartment. The fee is $320 per year or $160 per semester for a designated single. Students living in King, Woodrow Terrace Apartments, Carriage House, Coalter Street House, and Hawpe House are assessed an additional $300 per year or $150 per semester.

Room Lottery 
Returning students select rooms for the following academic year through a lottery. In order to participate in the lottery, students must pay the $300 registration deposit. Dates, procedures, and regulations for the lottery are published in February in advance of the lottery which is held in March.

Room Vacancies 
The college reserves the right to use all room spaces. Rooms cannot be “held” for students who are studying abroad or who have taken a leave of absence. When a vacancy occurs, a new student may be assigned without consultation with the remaining occupant.   

Quiet Hours 
To provide an atmosphere conducive to study and sleep, quiet hours are observed in all residential communities. They are determined by the community at the beginning of the year with the stipulation of lasting 12 hours and starting no later than 10 p.m. Sunday – Thursday. Courtesy hours are in effect 24 hours a day.

All residence halls, apartments, and houses are locked 24 hours a day. For the safety of all in the community, please do not prop open exterior doors or allow unauthorized persons to enter the halls. All guests in the building are to be escorted.

Smoking is prohibited in all residential common areas including elevators, stairwells, lounges, and kitchens.

Vacation Periods 
The residence halls are closed during Thanksgiving and winter breaks. During this time, no one is allowed to remain in the residence halls, apartments, or houses. All buildings will be locked and secured. Additionally, residence halls close during spring break; however, in certain circumstances students are permitted to remain. Request forms are required for approval.

Students will be held responsible for intentional damage to property belonging to the school, another member of the campus community, or a campus visitor.

Visitation Hours 
Freshmen and upper-class housing communities have a variety of visitation options.  Spencer and Woodson halls operate under the freshmen visitation policy. All other residence hall communities have 24/7 visitation, with the exception of Hill Top which operates on the unrestricted weekends policy. International floor in Memorial has no overnight visitation.

Weapons of any kind, including ornamental guns, swords, and knives are strictly prohibited in the residence hall environment.