The University Writing Center is open for May Term! Click the “Make an Appointment” button to check available times.
Think. Write. Talk. Revise. Repeat. Why? Because improving your writing means learning how to better explore, organize, and present your ideas. It is one of the keys to being a critical thinker and an effective communicator.
Whether you are staring at a blank screen with a blinking cursor, polishing a first draft, or finalizing citations for a research paper, peer consultants at The Writing Center can help. Our undergraduate student tutors are experienced attentive readers who — just like you — have struggled at some point to tackle a writing project, convey their ideas clearly, or use punctuation and grammar correctly. The Writing Center services are also available to graduate students as well as faculty and staff members.
Consultants at The Writing Center can help you:
- Overcome writer’s block
- Understand a writing assignment
- Generate ideas and solve problems
- Consider audience, purpose, and context
- Develop a thesis
- Incorporate sources effectively and ethically
- Organize ideas and support them critically and creatively
- Understand grammar, punctuation, and usage
- Apply revision strategies
- Develop proofreading and editing skills
The Frequently Asked Questions page goes over many of the things students ask about using the center, such as how long sessions last and what to do if you miss an appointment.